Wednesday 8 July 2015

Little Joys Quilt Along Week Two: Tree Block

 It may be summer but there is that end-of-term feeling in the air, life has gone a little crazy with trips, school stuff, birthdays and deadlines so it could almost be Christmas with never ending to-do lists!  Week one of Fat Quarter Shop's Little Joys quilt along and my three 'Trim the Tree' blocks are done.

I made three identical tree blocks with a little pink addition to the top of my trees.  The instructions are easy- just adding half square triangles with the background squares to the main fabric rectangles.  I chain pieced the blocks and they were quick to put together.


Each half square triangle leaves another mini pair of triangles behind so I thought I would be efficient and draw in an extra line to stitch, half an inch from the diagonal pencil line and so when you cut between the two stitching lines each there is a quarter inch seam on either side and no wastage.


Here's a diagram to explain.  The red is the original stitching line, the blue is the second stitching line.  


Not sure what I am going to do with them but there will be fabric left over from this kit so there's potential for a scrappy extra make at then end of this quick small quilt project.  The pattern is free and you can make it with your own Christmas prints or a kit with all the fabric needed is available here.  See you next Wednesday with my wreath blocks!

sib blog

4 comments:

  1. Love how you made this block 'your own' - beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing this quilt too, and did a similar thing, so I cut exactly a quarter inch from the stitch line, so have a new stack of HST's. Sure I'll find something to make them into.
    Love the pink!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.